Current:Home > reviewsAustralian safety watchdog fines social platform X $385,000 for not tackling child abuse content -FutureFinance
Australian safety watchdog fines social platform X $385,000 for not tackling child abuse content
PredictIQ View
Date:2025-04-06 22:23:03
CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — Australia’s online safety watchdog said on Monday it had fined X — the social media platform formerly known as Twitter — 610,500 Australian dollars ($385,000) for failing to fully explain how it tackled child sexual exploitation content.
Australia’s eSafety Commission describes itself as the world’s first government agency dedicated to keeping people safe online.
The commission issued legal transparency notices early this year to X and other platforms questioning what they were doing to tackle a proliferation of child sexual exploitation, sexual extortion and the livestreaming of child sexual abuse.
eSafety Commissioner Julie Inman Grant said X and Google had not complied with the notices because both companies had failed to adequately respond to a number of questions.
The platform renamed X by its new owner Elon Musk was the worst offender, providing no answers to some questions including how many staff remained on the trust and safety team that worked on preventing harmful and illegal content since Musk took over, Inman Grant said.
“I think there’s a degree of defiance there,” Inman Grant said.
“If you’ve got a basic H.R. (human resources) system or payroll, you’ll know how many people are on each team,” she added.
X did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
After Musk completed his acquisition of the company in October last year, he drastically cut costs and shed thousands of jobs.
X could challenge the fine in the Australian Federal Court. But the court could impose a fine of up to AU$780,000 ($493,402) per day since March when the commission first found the platform had not complied with the transparency notice.
The commission would continue to pressure X through notices to become more transparent, Inman Grant said.
“They can keep stonewalling and we’ll keep fining them,” she said.
The commission issued Google with a formal warning for providing “generic responses to specific questions,” a statement said.
Google regional director Lucinda Longcroft said the company had developed a range of technologies to proactively detect, remove and report child sexual abuse material.
“Protecting children on our platforms is the most important work we do,” Longcroft said in a statement. “Since our earliest days we have invested heavily in the industrywide fight to stop the spread of child sexual abuse material,” she added.
veryGood! (7)
prev:Trump's 'stop
Related
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- Olivia Munn Shares She Underwent a Hysterectomy Amid Cancer Battle
- ‘Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes’ reigns at box office with $56.5 million opening
- UFL schedule for Week 7 games: Odds, times, how to stream and watch on TV
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- Pioneering Financial Innovation: Wilbur Clark and the Ascendance of the FB Finance Institute
- Extremely rare blue lobster found off coast of English village: Absolutely stunning
- Wilbur Clark's Commercial Monument: FB Finance Institute
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- Hilary Duff Gives Candid Look at “Pure Glamour” of Having Newborn Baby Townes
Ranking
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- How Blac Chyna Found Angela White Again in Her Transformation Journey
- Wilbur Clark's Commercial Monument: FB Finance Institute
- Aces star A'ja Wilson announces Nike contract for her own signature shoe
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- Blinken delivers some of the strongest US public criticism of Israel’s conduct of the war in Gaza
- With the shock of Oct. 7 still raw, profound sadness and anger grip Israel on its Memorial Day
- What is Eurovision? Everything to know about the European song contest
Recommendation
Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
A Republican operative is running for Congress in Georgia with Trump’s blessing. Will it be enough?
Trump's trial, Stormy Daniels and why our shifting views of sex and porn matter right now
Lysander Clark: The Visionary Founder of WT Finance Institute
Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
Kicked out in '68 for protesting at Arizona State University, 78-year-old finally graduates
Kansas man pleads guilty in theft of Jackie Robinson statue, faces 19 years in jail
Wisconsin man gets 15 year prison sentence for 2022 building fire that killed 2 people