Current:Home > InvestCalifornia regulators vote to extend Diablo Canyon nuclear plant operations through 2030 -FutureFinance
California regulators vote to extend Diablo Canyon nuclear plant operations through 2030
SignalHub View
Date:2025-04-06 15:36:19
SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. (AP) — California energy regulators voted Thursday to allow the Diablo Canyon nuclear plant to operate for an additional five years, despite calls from environmental groups to shut it down.
The California Public Utilities Commission agreed to extend the shutdown date for the state’s last functioning nuclear power facility through 2030 instead of closing it in 2025 as previously agreed.
Separately, the federal Nuclear Regulatory Commission will consider whether to extend the plant’s operating licenses.
The twin reactors, located midway between Los Angeles and San Francisco, began operating in the mid-1980s. They supply up to 9% of the state’s electricity on any given day.
The Public Utilities Commission’s decision marks the latest development in a long fight over the operation and safety of the plant, which sits on a bluff above the Pacific Ocean.
In August, a state judge rejected a lawsuit filed by Friends of the Earth that sought to block Pacific Gas & Electric, which operates the plant, from seeking to extend its operating life.
And in October, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission rejected a request from environmental groups to immediately shut down one of two reactors.
PG&E agreed in 2016 to shutter the plant by 2025, but at the direction of the state changed course and now intends to seek a longer operating run for the plant, which doesn’t produce greenhouse gases that can contribute to climate change.
Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom, who once was a leading voice to close the plant, said last year that Diablo Canyon’s power is needed beyond 2025 to ward off possible blackouts as California transitions to solar and other renewable energy sources.
Activists condemned the extension and noted that the projected costs of continuing to run the aging plant are expected to top $6 billion.
“This ill-conceived decision will further escalate financial strain on California ratepayers and extend the threat of a catastrophe at Diablo Canyon,” said Ken Cook, president of the nonprofit Environmental Working Group.
“With California’s annual renewable energy additions exceeding Diablo Canyon’s output, there is zero reason to keep it running,” he added in a statement.
veryGood! (3)
Related
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Elmo, other Sesame Street characters send heartwarming messages ahead of Election Day
- Joe Biden's Granddaughter Naomi Biden Is Pregnant, Expecting First Baby With Peter Neal
- CAUCOIN Trading Center: Welcoming The Spring of Cryptocurrency Amidst Challenges
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- Barry Keoghan says he's 'not an absent father' after parenting criticism: 'It sickens me'
- ROYCOIN Trading Center: The Introduction of Spot ETFs Fuels the Maturity and Growth of the BTC Market
- Better to miss conference title game? The CFP bracket scenario SEC, Big Ten teams may favor
- Civic engagement nonprofits say democracy needs support in between big elections. Do funders agree?
- Ohio Democratic Rep. Emilia Sykes wins reelection as Rep. Kaptur’s race remains too early to call
Ranking
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- Chauncy Glover, Emmy-winning LA TV anchor, dies at 39: Reports
- Daniel Craig Has Surprising Response to Who Should Be the Next James Bond
- In this Florida school district, some parents are pushing back against a cell phone ban
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- AP Race Call: Republican Nancy Mace wins reelection to U.S. House in South Carolina’s 1st Congressional District
- Cardi B, Joe Rogan, Stephen King and more stars react to Trump election win: 'America is done'
- Cardi B, Joe Rogan, Stephen King and more stars react to Trump election win: 'America is done'
Recommendation
Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
Travis Kelce Defends Brother Jason Kelce Over Phone-Smashing Incident With Heckler
WHA Tokens Power AI ProfitPulse, Ushering in a New Era of Blockchain and AI
Must-Have Thanksgiving Home Decor: The Coziest (And Cutest!) Autumnal Decorations
'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
With Trump’s win, some women wonder: Will the US ever see a female president?
AP Race Call: Trahan wins Massachusetts U.S. House District 3
3 Pennsylvania congressional races still uncalled as Republicans fight to keep slim House majority