Current:Home > ContactTradeEdge-Albanese criticizes China over warship’s use of sonar that injured an Australian naval diver -FutureFinance
TradeEdge-Albanese criticizes China over warship’s use of sonar that injured an Australian naval diver
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-07 01:29:29
CANBERRA,TradeEdge Australia (AP) — Prime Minister Anthony Albanese on Monday criticized China for a “dangerous” encounter between Chinese and Australian warships but declined to say whether he had raised the issue in recent talks with President Xi Jinping.
He said one Australian diver was injured when a Chinese destroyer used sonar while near an Australian frigate in international waters last Tuesday.
Defense Minister Richard Marles said Saturday he had raised serious concerns with Beijing about the destroyer’s unsafe and unprofessional behavior.
Between the encounter and Marles’ statement, Albanese spoke to Xi on the sidelines of an Asia-Pacific leaders’ summit in San Francisco.
Albanese said on Monday his discussions with Xi were private, rather than a formal bilateral meeting in which content summaries are made public.
“I don’t talk about private meetings on the sidelines, discussions I have with any world leader,” Albanese told Sky News in his Parliament House office.
“It’s something that is a regrettable incident. That’s why we have put our very strong objections to China very clearly, very directly through all of the appropriate channels in all the forums that are available to us,” Albanese added.
Opposition lawmakers have accused Albanese of failing to raise the encounter with Xi because the Australian leader did not want to risk setting back an improving bilateral relationship.
“More weak leadership from Anthony Albanese who appears to be prioritizing photo ops with Xi Jinping over speaking up for our people. Disgraceful,” senior opposition lawmaker Sussan Ley posted on social media.
Albanese recently became the first Australian prime minister to visit China in seven years in a sign that relations have improved since Ley’s coalition government was voted out of office in 2022 after nine years in power.
The U.S., Canadian and Australian militaries have complained multiple times about what they say have been dangerous actions by the Chinese navy and air force in the western Pacific. Analysts fear a collision or other accident could spark an international incident and escalate into conflict.
Australia said the Chinese destroyer Ningbo operated its sonar while Australian naval divers were underwater trying to clear fishing nets that tangled the propellers of their ship HMAS Toowoomba.
Albanese said one diver was injured. Defense officials have not specified the injuries or number of divers, but media have reported the divers’ ears were injured.
Analysts say sonar can cause extensive soft tissue damage to divers at close range.
Australia says the Toowoomba notified the Ningbo that diving operations were underway and asked the Chinese keep clear.
But the Ningbo approached using a hull-mounted sonar equipment, placing the divers at risk and forcing them from the water, defense officials say.
The Chinese Communist Party’s Global Times newspaper on Sunday questioned the Australian version that the Toowoomba was in international waters within Japan’s exclusive economic zone when it encountered the Ningbo.
If the Toowoomba had been near Chinese islands or a Chinese military training exercise, the Australian warship would have provoked the Chinese, an unnamed military expert told the newspaper.
Albanese said the incident “does do damage” to Australia’s relationship with China.
“This was dangerous, it was unsafe and unprofessional from the Chinese forces,” Albanese said.
___
Find more AP Asia-Pacific coverage at https://apnews.com/hub/asia-pacific
veryGood! (25)
Related
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Michigan man gifts bride scratch-off ticket worth $1 million, day after their wedding
- US applications for jobless benefits inch down, remain at historically healthy levels
- Zac Efron “Devastated” by Death of 17 Again Costar Matthew Perry
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- Chick-fil-A announces return of Peppermint Chip Milkshake and two new holiday coffees
- Israeli strikes pound Gaza City, where tens of thousands have fled in recent days
- Powerball winning numbers for Nov. 8 drawing: No winners, jackpot rises to $220 million
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- Is it cheaper to go to a restaurant for Thanksgiving dinner? Maybe not this year.
Ranking
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- Uzbekistan hosts summit of regional economic alliance
- Sheriff: 2 Florida deputies seriously injured after they were intentionally struck by a car
- Israeli military tour of northern Gaza reveals ravaged buildings, toppled trees, former weapons lab
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Southwest Airlines says it's ready for the holidays after its meltdown last December
- Houston eighth grader dies after suffering brain injury during football game
- Fantasy football rankings for Week 10: Bills' Josh Allen, Stefon Diggs rise to the top
Recommendation
Meta releases AI model to enhance Metaverse experience
Zac Efron would be 'honored' to play Matthew Perry in a biopic
Actors strike ends, but what's next? Here's when you can expect your shows and movies back
Scott Boras tells MLB owners to 'take heed': Free agents win World Series titles
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
Donald Trump’s lawyers ask judge to end civil fraud trial, seeking verdict in ex-president’s favor
Patrick Dempsey named Sexiest Man Alive by People magazine: I'm glad it's happening at this point in my life
Germans commemorate ‘Night of Broken Glass’ terror as antisemitism is on the rise again