Current:Home > MyTupac Shakur murder suspect bail set, can serve house arrest ahead of trial -FutureFinance
Tupac Shakur murder suspect bail set, can serve house arrest ahead of trial
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 22:18:32
LAS VEGAS — A former Los Angeles-area gang leader charged with orchestrating the killing of hip-hop music legend Tupac Shakur in 1996 can be released from jail and serve house arrest with electronic monitoring ahead of his trial in June, a judge decided Tuesday.
Bail was set at $750,000 for Duane "Keffe D" Davis at a hearing before a judge in Las Vegas. His court-appointed attorneys had asked for bail of not more than $100,000. They told The Associated Press after the hearing that they believe he can post bail.
His lawyers had argued in a court filing a day before Tuesday's hearing that their client — not witnesses, as prosecutors had said — faced danger.
The lawyers accuse prosecutors of misinterpreting a jail telephone recording and a list of names provided to Davis' family members, and of misreporting to the judge that Davis poses a threat to the public if he were released.
Davis "never threatened anyone during the phone calls," deputy special public defenders Robert Arroyo and Charles Cano said in their seven-page filing Monday. "Furthermore, (prosecutors') interpretation of the use of 'green light' is flat-out wrong."
The "green light" reference is from a recording of an October jail call that prosecutors Marc DiGiacomo and Binu Palal provided last month to Clark County District Judge Carli Kierny, who presided over the bail hearing.
More:Duane Davis, charged in rapper Tupac Shakur’s fatal shooting, makes first court appearance
The prosecution filing made no reference to Davis instructing anyone to harm someone, or to anyone associated with the case being physically harmed. But the prosecutors added that "In (Davis') world, a 'green light' is an authorization to kill."
"Duane's son was saying he heard there was a greenlight on Duane's family," Davis' attorneys wrote, using his first name. "Duane obviously did not know what his son was talking about."
Davis' lawyers also used his first name Monday, asking Kierny to consider what they called "the obvious question."
"If Duane is so dangerous, and the evidence so overwhelming," they wrote, "why did (police and prosecutors) wait 15 years to arrest Duane for the murder of Tupac Shakur?"
Prosecutors point to Davis' own words since 2008 — in police interviews, in a 2019 tell-all memoir and in the media — that they say provides strong evidence that he orchestrated the September 1996 shooting.
Davis' attorneys argue that his descriptions of Shakur's killing were "done for entertainment purposes and to make money."
Davis, originally from Compton, California, is the only person still alive who was in the car from which shots were fired in the drive-by shooting that also wounded rap music mogul Marion "Suge" Knight. Knight is now serving 28 years in a California prison for an unrelated fatal shooting in the Los Angeles area in 2015.
Davis' attorneys noted Monday that Knight is an eyewitness to the Shakur shooting but did not testify before the grand jury that indicted Davis ahead of his arrest Sept. 29 outside his Henderson home. Las Vegas police had served a search warrant at the house in mid-July.
Duane 'Keffe D' Davis arrest, trial in Tupac murder case
Davis has pleaded not guilty to murder and has been jailed without bail at the Clark County Detention Center in Las Vegas, where detainees' phone calls are routinely recorded. If convicted at trial, he could spend the rest of his life in prison.
Arroyo and Cano have argued their 60-year-old client is in poor health after a battle with cancer that is in remission and won't flee to avoid trial.
Davis maintains he was given immunity from prosecution in 2008 by an FBI and Los Angeles police task force investigating the killings of Shakur in Las Vegas and rival rapper Christopher Wallace, known as The Notorious B.I.G. or Biggie Smalls, six months later in Los Angeles.
DiGiacomo and Palal say any immunity agreement was limited. Last week, they submitted to the court an audio recording of a Dec. 18, 2008, task force interview during which they said Davis "was specifically told that what he said in the room would not be used against him, but (that) if he were (to) talk to other people, that could put him in jeopardy."
Davis' attorneys responded Monday with a reference to the publication 12 years ago of a book written by former Los Angeles police Detective Greg Kading, who attended those interviews.
"Duane is not worried," the attorneys said, "because his alleged involvement in the death of Shakur has been out in the public since ... 2011."
Who is Duane 'Keffe D' Davis?What to know about man arrested in Tupac Shakur's killing
veryGood! (46)
Related
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Megan Fox Is Pregnant, Expecting Baby With Machine Gun Kelly
- See Megan Fox, Machine Gun Kelly, Brian Austin Green and Sharna Burgess' Blended Family Photos
- 'We suffered great damage': Fierce California wildfire burns homes, businesses
- How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
- Fantasy football buy low, sell high: 10 trade targets for Week 11
- Celtics' Jaylen Brown calls Bucks' Giannis Antetokounmpo a 'child' over fake handshake
- New York eyes reviving congestion pricing toll before Trump takes office
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- Why have wildfires been erupting across the East Coast this fall?
Ranking
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- 2025 Medicare Part B premium increase outpaces both Social Security COLA and inflation
- 'Squid Game' creator lost '8 or 9' teeth making Season 1, explains Season 2 twist
- Voters in California city reject measure allowing noncitizens to vote in local races
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- NFL Week 10 winners, losers: Cowboys' season can no longer be saved
- Biden funded new factories and infrastructure projects, but Trump might get to cut the ribbons
- Indiana man is found guilty of murder in the 2017 killings of 2 teenage girls
Recommendation
Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
Taylor Swift Becomes Auntie Tay In Sweet Photo With Fellow Chiefs WAG Chariah Gordon's Daughter
12 college students charged with hate crimes after assault in Maryland
Judge set to rule on whether to scrap Trump’s conviction in hush money case
Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
Shaboozey to headline halftime show of Lions-Bears game on Thanksgiving
All Social Security retirees should do this by Nov. 20
Man accused of killing American tourist in Budapest, putting her body in suitcase: Police